The weather’s been cooling down recently – it feels like autumn is only just around the corner. A good time to share with you a lovely recipe for a cold(er) day!
I feel extremely lucky to have been brought up on homemade puds and cakes, and thanks to my Mum writing down the recipes she used, I can now recreate and share gluten free versions of them with you!
This gluten free ginger sponge was an absolute joy to make. So simple, with terrific results!
Ingredients (serves 8 as a pudding)
- 2 cups of Juvela gluten free mix
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon *ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon *Bicarbonate soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 225g (8oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons syrup
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup milk (boiled)
- Grease and line an 8 by 12-inch tray with greaseproof paper an inch or so above the edge of the tray.
- Preheat oven 150c/300F/Gas Mark 2/Fan 130c
- Warm syrup and butter in a pan.
- Blend together, gluten free mix, sugar, bicarb and salt and pour melted syrup and butter onto it.
- Add egg and milk and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared tray and bake for approximately 1hr until golden and springy!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray.
This delicious sponge is perfect with nice thick *custard (I use birds custard powder). That’s how my Mum served it up, and it was one of my very favourite hot puddings! However, because it’s so soft, it would also be amazing warm with a good dollop of *vanilla ice-cream and a little sprinkling of icing sugar to make it look pretty. Or, just simply grab a slice, pop your feet up, and enjoy it with a cuppa!
I think this would also be a lovely thing to portion up, pop in a cute box and take along as a little gift, when visiting friends or family! I’ve loved sharing this recipe with you today. Do hope you get chance to rustle it up…… enjoying it in whatever way takes your fancy!
Bye for now,
*As ingredients can change please just double check no gluten containing ingredient or ‘may contain’ warnings on packets. If in doubt leave it out.