Why are gluten free cakes dry?
Some gluten free flours will produce a cake which is on the dry side. This might be due to the lack of gluten but can be for many other reasons. Lots of gluten free flour is rice based and this can result in a dry and slightly gritty texture.
The Juvela gluten free White and Fibre Mix have been developed to be as comparable to gluten containing flour as possible. We remove the gluten to make the flour suitable for those of us with coeliac disease, but by using the rest of the wheat starch, the taste and texture of your baking will be no different than using ordinary flours.
Anna's Top Tips
- Measure your ingredients accurately – this is so important to get the perfect bake
- Use butter – some fats contain water, which will affect the texture of your cakes and can make them heavy and dense.
- Don’t over beat – just beat for long enough to get a light fluffy texture.
- Don’t overbake – this will definitely mean a dry cake!
- Use the tin size specified – if its different, the cooking time will be different too
- The oven temp is a guide and you know your oven best. If you think it generally cooks things quicker than it should, maybe it runs hot. You can reduce the temperature by 10C, and if you have a fan oven, you should always cook at 20C less than a recipe states.
- If a recipe calls for large eggs and you use medium eggs, you won’t have sufficient liquid. Always follow a recipe to the letter with ingredients and quantities.
- Teaspoons and tablespoons – is this heaped or level? As a guide, one teaspoon should weigh 5g and one tablespoon should weigh 15g.
Whether you're looking for a cake recipe that you can enjoy with a cup of tea or dress up in to a fancy celebration cake, you can't go wrong with our Basic Sponge Cake. If you need any further support or have questions about any of our recipes, Anna is here to take your call 0800 783 1992.
Gluten Free Food on Prescription
Recently diagnosed with
Order free starter pack
Recently diagnosed with
We offer a complimentary starter pack* to allow you to try a selection of gluten free foods before setting up a prescription. Apply here or get in touchOrder free starter pack
*Starter packs are for those medically diagnosed with coeliac disease and in prescribing areas
All our products are certified by Coeliac UK. Coeliac UK is the charity for people who need to live without gluten. They provide independent, trustworthy advice and support so people can live well, gluten free. We’re proud to show the Crossed Grain trademark on our products so you know they’re gluten free and safe for you.