How to get your first gluten free prescription
We understand that when you’re newly diagnosed with coeliac disease, there can be a lot...
It can be daunting if you have just been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease. Here are some tips to help you on your way.
1. Talk to your GP about getting gluten-free products on prescription. If you live in eligible areas of the UK you can get Juvela products sent to you each month through prescription.
2. Speak to a dietitian. At first, being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease can be daunting. Book an appointment with your GP, who should refer you to a dietitian. Your dietitian can help you with a step by step plan on how to remove gluten from your diet.
3. Don't be afraid to explore the supermarket isles for gluten-free foods that aren't specifically in the free-from section. There are plenty of naturally gluten-free foods out there.
4. When eating in a restaurant, ask the waiter if they have a gluten-free menu. Many restaurants have a separate gluten-free menu or have small symbols on the menu indicating the gluten-free options.
5. Find your gluten-free community. This is a great way to pick up tips and tricks and find support from fellow coeliacs. You can find groups on Facebook, recipes on Instagram and lots of coeliac blogs and websites. Coeliac UK is a great place to start.
6. Educate your family and friends about coeliac disease and cross-contamination - This will make eating at home and in friends and family's homes much more manageable.
7. Read food labels very carefully as gluten can show up in random foods.